Quick Tip - Cameras

leave a comment
 

First, a quick quiz:

Which photo was taken with a standard point-and-shoot camera and which was taken with a mid-range DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera?







Taking great photos is about much more than just the kind of camera you have. Many point-and-shoot cameras available on the market today are capable of taking wonderful photos. So, be sure you are using your current camera correctly with the proper settings, composition and lighting before you run out and spend hundreds of dollars on a new camera! 

The three most important settings to look for and learn how to use in a point-and-shoot:

 
Macro capability (tulip icon) 


 
EV / exposure value compensation (+ / -)


Custom white balance


Oh yes. I bet you're wondering about the answer to my question, right?
The top photo was taken with a Canon Rebel XSi DSLR with a 60mm macro lens and the bottom photo was taken with a Samsung S630 with the macro setting selected.

So tell us: What kind of camera do you have? Leave a comment and let us know!



8 Response to "Quick Tip - Cameras"

Carole Ann said...

I have a sony cybershot point and shoot. I've been thinking about getting something bigger, but I've gotten very mixed advice about whether an upgrade would really be worth it...Discovering the Macro button was a huge revelation. It's true - reading the manual helped me out a lot!

IMakeCuteStuff (aka Marlo M.) said...

Hi Carole Ann! I just stopped by your awesome blog! Your photos are wonderful :) What model number is your cybershot? I'm always looking for point and shoots that can do the job for less $$ than a DSLR.

Orese Jewelry said...

Hey Marlo :) I really like the concept of your blog! I've read all the posts so far and have found them very helpful.

My camera is a point & shoot: Canon PowerShot SD870 IS. I can't find my manual, but I literally spent about 4 hours playing around with settings and taking test shots to see the outcome. Time consuming, but it was fun. I ended up with about 400 shots, but I learned a lot!

After playing around, I took some new shots if you want to check them out: Orese.Etsy.Com (Product names: Fatima, Lola, Curvature, & Cairo) I'd love your feedback, if you don't mind.

Sas

Three Birds Jewelry said...

i am borrowing (and by borrowing i basically mean never giving back) my dads canon powershot S2IS (5 megapixels). he has of course upgraded...

almost ALWAYS use the macro setting, but haven't used the custom white balance. i will have to play.

IMakeCuteStuff (aka Marlo M.) said...

Hi Sas / Orese,
Congratulations on taking the time to learn how to use your camera! Your photos are looking good!
One thing I would caution against is the use of your flash (or is that a bright direct light?) - the highlights are a bit too hot and competes with your pieces a little bit. Not a lot, but your photos could be much warmer and saturated if you used indirect lighting instead.

Here is a link to your camera's user manual on the Canon website: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_sd_series/powershot_sd870_is#BrochuresAndManuals

I did a Google search for your make and model and found the link that was directly from the Canon site.

Keep up the great work!
Marlo :)

Orese Jewelry said...

Yes, I see what you mean Marlo. Thanks for looking at pictures. I think I will reshoot.

And thank you so much for the manual!!!!

Unknown said...

I had the Sony which took the photos you see in the oldest of my shops items. I crushed it in the door of my car and my roommate was so cool to surprise me the next day with a Samsung TL105 12.2 mega-pixels.
I freaked out for a minute, "I need my CANON!" But, I am finding it is even more amazing at taking great photos of tiny things.
I live in OC, Cali where the sunshine is a crutch for me though. If it a cloudy day, its not a shoot day, period.
I'm still learning, what looks good and doesn't but, for the most part I think i am on the right track.

I have a feeling I have found a new "crutch" in this website! Thanks for it.
Costa Mesa, Cali
Amber


Amberingz.blogspot.com

Essentialtoyourown.Etsy.Com
FabricForCraft.Etsy.Com

Unknown said...

Ok, i just looked at my pictures... I have a lot more work to do.....

Post a Comment